Re: Count retries and redispatches

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:27:06 +0200

Hi Krzysztof,

sorry for this long delay, I've been working on other complex things and did not want to get my mind polluted by completely different things.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 03:29:21PM +0200, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is important to know how does your instalation perform. Haproxy masks
> connection errors, which is extremely good for a client but it is bad for
> an administrator (except people believing that "ignorance is a bless").
>
> Attached patch adds retries and redispatches counters, so now haproxy:
>
> 1. For server:
> - counts retried connections (masked or not)

I think that's useful because on the stats page, if you see too many retries, it means that you have a connection problem to that server. And it's very common in datacenters.

> 2. For backends:
> - counts retried connections (masked or not) that happened to
> a slave server
> - counts redispatched connections
> - does not count successfully redispatched connections as backend errors.
> Errors are increased only when client does not get a valid response,
> in other words: with failed redispatch or when this function is not
> enabled.

This seems fair enough. The doc will need some lifting to explain that, because it's somewhat different to how it's done today.

> 3. For statistics:
> - display Retr (retries) and Redis (redispatches) as a "Warning"
> information.

How about the logs ? We may add a flag indicating if the connection has been redispatched or not, and if it got some retries or not. We don't need to log the number, just the fact that it happened. This helps understanding the timers.

> I think it is a post-1.3.12 material.

Yes, I'm queuing it for integration.

Thanks,
Willy Received on 2007/09/29 12:27