Re: haproxy web cache feature

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:35:55 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:37:19AM +0800, Delta Yeh wrote:
> Hi all,
> Citrix 's netscaler seems a good solution for small and media size
> website .
> Varnish is a bleeding cache project.
>
> Is there any plan that add cache and compress to haproxy so haproxy can
> be
> the best open source solution for web application delivery.

No, it's not planned at all. Cache would be detrimental to performance since it implies disk I/O and/or high memory consumption (so a high CPU cache thrashing). When the modularization of the code is finished, maybe someone will try to implement a caching module, but I'm really not interested in this. It's too much complicated to manage (expires, rules to disable cache, cookies, ...) and is beyond the role of a load balancer.

You'd better use varnish, squid or any other correct project in a distinct process and/or on another machine and load-balance it with haproxy. It will easily scale.

> Or any one has the interest in starting a project of open source web
> application delivery solution
> with the existing open source projects, such as haproxy , varnish,
> apache+mod_security.

Not I'm aware of, but maybe it's not too hard to package together.