Timed cookies

From: Lauro, John <jlauro#umflint.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:09:45 -0400

(currently using 1.2.17)

Is there a way to have cookies expire after so many hours of not being used? We have users that leave their browsers on for days if not weeks... and so even though I implemented a soft stop with check on a different port than the server, there always seems to be some traffic going through the backup. (Ok, I never waited 48 hours, maybe eventually traffic would stop). Our app will expire their session within 4 hours, so it would be nice if the cookie could be time-stamped and invalidated if old. Obviously it would have to be renewed if old (ie: 30min), but not too old (ie: 4 hours), and if too old it could be rebalanced.

Just wondering if there is already a way to do something like that, and or any plans? If not, would anyone else find it useful, or is there some other better way to handle it? (I can't do it in the application, I am using cookie with insert nocache indirect).

Recommendations for Stats page:
If down include downtime (seconds or minutes) in addition to count.
(IE: Was this server unavailable 5 separate times totaling 10 minutes,
or 1 time totaling 5 hours).
Last time a request came in (especially for hosts in backup mode, so I can know if it's relatively safe yet to reload or not).

If I get some spare time (HA!), I might try to implement patches for the above, but I say that without looking at the code yet. Received on 2007/10/19 19:09