Re: Quick question on logging from HaProxy.

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 06:46:31 +0200

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 03:20:23PM +0100, lists wrote:

> Many thanks for all the answers,
> I just needed to add -r to my syslogd start up script and everything
> works like magic now!

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

BTW Malcolm, be careful, the default syslogd from sysklogd cannot forward messages to a remote syslog server if it received them from a UDP socket. This is pretty annoying because syslogd is slow on disk and cannot forward. If you want to use this solution in your appliances, I strongly suggest that you switch to another syslogd.

> BTW. Shouldn't the reply-to address on this list be haproxy#formilux.org
> rather than the user who sent the mail?

For people who consult mailing lists once in a while, it's preferable to get replies directly in their mailboxes. Also, it's possible to ask the list without being subscribed. If you prefer not to receive the responses directly but only through the list, you can change the reply-to on your MUA. I've noticed that there are one or two persons on this list who did it for that precise reason.

I personally prefer to get responses without having to explicitly consult the list, and it's often the same for people who want a good interactivity (eg: when they are developing or testing patches).

I'm remove your address from this reply ;-)