Re: Running haproxy on the cluster nodes

From: Martin Goldman <martin#mgoldman.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:32:53 -0500

These are hosted dedicated servers, so I don't have much info on the hardware. But from looking at dmesg, it looks like I may have one Intel PCI GigE card (which is connected to the LAN) and and a Broadcom/Tigon3 PCI Express card (which is connected to the Internet):

e1000: 0000:08:02.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) [MAC_address]
e1000: eth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
e1000: eth1: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95751) rev 4201 PHY(5750)] (PCI Express)10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet [MAC address] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.

I googled the Intel card (model 82541PI according to lspci) and it is indeed a PCI 33/66MHz card, and the Broadcom (model BCM5751) is indeed a PCI Express card. Would having one of each type of card like this allow for the type of bus saturation that you describe below? I'm not sure if the hosting company will do it, but should I look into having the PCI card swapped out for another PCI Express?

Many thanks for all the explanation; as you can obviously tell, I'm not much of a hardware guy :)

-Martin