Re: Logging to the syslog unix domain socket (Was: [ANNOUNCE] haproxy 1.3.14)

From: Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jbq#caraldi.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:10:58 +0100

> Nothing. I'm having this on one of my PCs with an old syslogd which worked
> in UNIX stream mode. Other syslog servers I have are running in UNIX dgram,
> just like the ones from this code's contributor.
>
> I'm thinking about a way to support stream sockets for logging (both unix
> and TCP), but it will take some time as it requires adding a log buffer.
>
> In the mean time, maybe you can find something to change your syslogd's
> configuration ? At least I don't know how to do that with sysklogd.

I'm actually using syslog-ng on GNU/Linux, and according to the documentation indeed there are two types of unix dockets: datagram and stream.

See http://www.cs.utah.edu/~clake/docs/syslog-ng-2.0/

It is also said that Linux comes with stream sockets. I haven't tried to activate datagram sockets, but I don't think it's worth the effort, in this case I'll stick to UDP transmissions.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/blog/