Re: Debugging tool for HAProxy

From: Christoph Dorn <christoph#christophdorn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:35:41 -0700

> Well, I don't know, I've never used such a tool, so I don't really
> know if it can provide any help. Also, I think that it could cause
> a major performance hit, so I don't know if a lot of people would
> use it.

=> Right. I guess the impact of this depends on which stage of your deployment it is used.

> Also, I'm wondering about something. While I understand what it can
> bring to an application, I have more doubts in the case of a proxy,
> because if you use the response headers to add your data, you are
> limited to statistics you know before getting the data. An application
> would know everything at this stage, but a proxy's useful statistics
> are not limited to what is known at this stage. Maybe I'm missing
> something ?

=> No. You are right. I never thought about that. I guess we need to invent response "footers" for this purpose :)

> But from what I see in your example, there are several headers
> (X-FirePHP-Data-XXXXXX), or is it instead just one header
> (X-FirePHP-Data) which starts with the numeric index ?

=> They are separate headers and if one log item becomes to large it can be split across multiple headers.

Thanks for your input.

Christoph Received on 2008/04/17 17:35