Question about URL stickiness

From: Alex Jackson <alex.jackson#pivotallabs.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:16:55 -0700

Hello,

        We have a need to send all traffic that has a similar url path to a specific machine. Traffic should continue to that machine until it not available. Ideally I could provide a regex with a grouping. The regex would be applied to the url and the result of that grouping would then be used as the hash to determine which server to send the request to.

Example:

                URL   www.example.com/x/foo/y    using regex

.*/x/(.*)/.*$ groups foo routes to server a
URL www.example.com/x/foo/z using regex
.*/x/(.*)/.*$ groups foo routes to server a
URL www.example.com/x/bar/z using regex
.*/x/(.*)/.*$ groups bar routes to server b

I've looked thru the docs and such and can't see a straight forward way to do this without statically defining foo and bar (something that is not practical for this site for other reasons). Am I missing something? Does anyone have other ideas of how to make something like this work?

Thanks.