haproxy alleatory fails on config reload

From: Pablo Escobar <pescobar#cipf.es>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:43:01 +0200

Hi to the list,

I am having an strange issue when I try to reload haproxy´s config. For each 5 tries to reload the config it usually fails 1 or 2 tries. Most of the times haproxy keeps it current state and reload the new config but alleatory it does a restart instead a reload so I get a 503 error on all my websites untils the "rise 2" is acomplished on all my backends and everythings gets up again.

The most strange thing in the fail is the alleatory (maybe a bug??) . Maybe I reload the config 5 times without any problem but suddenly fails.

I need to add new acl quite often and it´s a pain to get a 503 error each time I need a new acl. I think the config is ok because once the "rise 2" is acomplissed and the 503 error dissapear my new acls work ok.

I am running haproxy version 1.3.15 on debian etch x86_64.

On my /etc/init.d/haproxy file I have this function to reload as explained on the docs.

haproxy_reload()
{

        $HAPROXY -f "$CONFIG" -p $PIDFILE -D $EXTRAOPTS -sf $(<$PIDFILE) \
                || return 2
        return 0

}

I also tried this function which comes with debian lenny packages which I think is the same:

haproxy_reload()
{

        $HAPROXY -f "$CONFIG" -p $PIDFILE -D $EXTRAOPTS -sf $(cat $PIDFILE) \
                || return 2
        return 0

}

I verified that $PIDFILE points to /var/run/haproxy.pid in both /etc/init.d/haproxy and /etc/haprox/haproxy.cfg and it contains the right PID for the haproxy process.

any ideas or suggestion about how to solve this problem?? it is really annoying. Right now what I am doing is to add new acl at night when the web traffic is lower. It´s a dirty solution and not usefull when someone needs a new acl "for yesterday"

many thanks in advance for any help.
Pablo.

--
Pablo Escobar Lopez