Re: Server response time discrepancy.

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 19:38:01 +0200

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 12:57:23PM -0400, James wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >Good results have been shown on 2.6.22 and 2.6.25. But under low to
> >moderate
> >performance, many people report success with 2.6.18 shipped in RHEL5 or
> >CentOS 5.
> >
> >Willy
>
> Why do you say specifically low to moderate performance for 2.6.18 shipped
> in RHEL5 or CentOS 5? What issues do you see with using 2.6.18? I'm
> currently running HAProxy on that Linux version, and I'm wondering if thats
> a big cause of issues that I'm seeing (another thread open about this).

Well, in my experience, there are two situations where you can see a problem happen :

Theorically, you could be in situation #1 with haproxy if you have only one CPU (or if you have nbproc equal to the number of CPUs). But this should not be permanent, it should only happen under certain loads. This is how I first noticed the problem, as haproxy may sleep and wakeup very often, depending on the traffic. Check if ssh to that machine seems responsive.

However you should not be in situation #2 due to the low number of processes started on a machine running haproxy, but this could happen on the servers themselves. And that could also impact the server's response time, of course. Once again, check with ssh.