Re: Timeouts when all backends are down

From: Alexander Staubo <alex#bengler.no>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:47:03 +0200

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu> wrote:
> You're not doing anything wrong. It is simply that haproxy knows that
> your servers are down because they have been checked and detected as
> such. So once it receives a request and has no way to serve it, it
> immediately returns "503 service unavailable".

Ouch. I seem to have misunderstood how HAProxy handles this particular situation.

Is there a way to have HAProxy keep attempting to reconnect instead of giving up? The idea is that our users should not experience any 503s while we temporarily take down Mongrels.

I suppose I could write a magic backup server that simply slept a little bit and then redirected back to its own URL, but that would be pretty icky.

Alexander. Received on 2008/09/23 11:47