Re: option httpclose?

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:30:03 +0200

Hi Chris,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:04:33AM -0700, Chris Charman wrote:
> Hey folks, quick question for anyone who might know.
>
> I currently use option httpclose in both the defaults and frontend
> definition on my instance. It seems like backend connections are still being
> kept alive though. Would httpclose be required in the backend definition as
> well?

No, it is not needed. A connection switches to httpclose if at least one of the frontend or backend which serves it is configured with httpclose. And since your defaults also specify the option, both your frontend and backend are set to httpclose. So you should double-check, normally you are not getting any keep-alive.

If it would happen that your server ignores "connection: close", you can use "option forceclose", which I developped because I once encountered this problem (I don't remember on what server though). It enforces connection close by closing the connection to the server once the server starts to respond.

But generally you don't need this.