Haproxy & Http Compression

From: Benoit <max.maverick#maverick.eu.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 13:28:27 +0200

Hi,

For some reason iwant to re-add http compression to my system, but the trick is that it must not have an impact on the apache log files (ie the reported size of each http request must be the same as before compression).

My first idea with the previous apache2 based ""load-balancing"" system :) was to add compression on the LB. simple and worked like a charm.

However haproxy does not support compression (now), so i'm working on two idea:

    1/ make backend web server do the compression *but* not reporting it

          easy when compression is active for a request, using "|DeflateFilterNote Input instream"

       however this work only for compressed request, othrs (images/browser not allowing compression...) gets a '-'

     seems apache doesn't provide a simple way for doing this, so one solution would be to log both number and add a post-processing regexp

   2/ Add http deflate compression to haproxy.

       Problem, i don't know haproxy internal prcoess enough actually, so this might not even be possible (need to filter all

       data stream, base on http request header and add/modify an http response header).

Any suggestion here?