Re: Using HAproxy in web server benchmark configuration (e.g. SPECweb)?

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:58:08 +0100

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:48:21AM -0800, Hsin, Chih-fan wrote:
> By the way, in the benchmark, if there is only 1 machine to emulate/send thousands of concurrent web sessions/requests, can HAproxy still distribute the requests? (All the web requests have the same source IP addresses though.)

yes it can. If you use "balance roundrobin" or "balance leastconn", the source IP address will not be used for the load-balancing.

You may even use the same machine for all the servers and assign them different ports if you want. That's what people do everyday with mongrel for instance.

> It seems to me that HAproxy distribute requests based on incoming IP addresses and port numbers.

It will only do that for "balance source".