Re: Problems with HAProxy, down servers and 503 errors

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:59:03 +0100

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 05:01:18AM -0500, John Marrett wrote:
> The health checks naturally include the Host header, and work properly.

OK.

> We just wanted to avoid returning 503 to the client for the 4-14 seconds
> it takes for the backend server to be reported down (inter 5 fall 2).

You could shorter that time using "fastinter". This will replace "inter" when the server has failed one check. For instance, you use "inter 1000 fastinter 200 fall 2" and you can detect a failure in 1.2 second.

> We'll see if there's something we can do to get IIS to return a RST
> before it receives the full request.

Alternatively, you could send a redirect to the home page and remove any persistence cookie so that the user gets sent to another server.

Willy Received on 2009/01/27 06:59