Re: question about hot reconfiguration command

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:32:49 +0100

Hi Anthony,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:59:09AM +0100, Anthony CHEREL wrote:
> I tried some tests with hot reconfiguration command.
>
> I modified my config file, then i ran this :
>
> haproxy -f /etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg -p /var/run/haproxy.pid -sf $(cat
> /var/run/haproxy.pid)
>
> Modifications were applied. But when i tried to reconfigure a second
> time my config file with my original configuration, haproxy returned
> this error message :
>
> [ALERT] 046/114243 (3902) : starting frontend http: cannot bind socket

This is not expected at all.

> So, is it possible de refresh configuration file with this command
> without restarting haproxy ?

The fact is that the command above *does* restart haproxy. It just uses a multiple step sequence so that the new process asks the old one to stop listening to the ports so that the new one can grab them.

Are you sure that your haproxy.pid file reflects the correct pid ? You can also try this way :

   haproxy -f haproxy.cfg -sf $(pidof haproxy)

Also, are you sure you were still root when running it the second time ?

Willy Received on 2009/02/19 07:32