Re: HAProxy running at 10 Gigabit/s

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:03:00 +0200

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:54:51PM -0700, Michael Fortson wrote:
> This is really impressive, Willy.
>
> It would be great to be able to recreate an optimized installation
> like the one used in this test. How would one go about finding or
> building a similarly-configured linux distro?

In fact I would like to be able to make 2.6.27.X run on CentOS 5 which is very often deployed it seems. But its mkinitrd is completely buggy and this crap is unable to boot from the device specified on the kernel command line. And since device names have changed between 2.6.18 and 2.6.27, I don't know how to sort that out. Maybe someone who knows this distro well could give it a try. After that I could indicate which patches to add to this kernel (including the ability to rebind to a port and the transparent proxy backport). This kernel will be maintained for a few years, so that would constitute a good platform. Keepalived is not easy to find packaged for it either BTW.

The rest is "just" kernel parameter tuning. I'm thinking about writing a tuning guide for 2.6 kernels. I've once again been contacted by a big site this week-end which was dying under load because the sysctls had not been tuned, and that's a shame :-/