Re: Do I need more than HAProxy for SSL webserver

From: Erik Gulliksson <erik.gulliksson#diino.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:38:45 +0200

Hi Holger,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Holger Just<haproxy#meine-er.de> wrote:

> At our site, we are using nginx for that task.
> This is layed out as follows:
>                                                          -----------
>                                                    ---->| Backend 1 |
>                                                   /      -----------
>  ---------------         -------        --------- /       -----------
> | teh Internets |------>| nginx |----->| HAProxy |------>| Backend 2 |
>                                                    ---->| Backend 3 |

I tried a similar setup with nginx 0.6.x a while back, but I ended up getting "411 Length Required" for requests without the Content-Length header. If I recall correctly a HTTP/1.1 client does not have to specify Content-Length when doing chunked encoding (TE: chunked) transfer, but nginx is not compliant with this. This is mainly an issue with PUT and POST requests. Did you bump into this or is it perhaps fixed in newer nginx?

Regards
Erik Gulliksson

--
Erik Gulliksson, erik.gulliksson#diino.net
System Administrator, Diino AB