Re: Do I need more than HAProxy for SSL webserver

From: Erik Gulliksson <erik.gulliksson#diino.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:12:36 +0200

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Holger Just<haproxy#meine-er.de> wrote:
> Although, I have not observed that problem at our site yet (on nginx
> 0.5.x), it seems to be widely known. Nginx seems to not be compatible
> with the chunked encoding in PUT or POST requests.

This is unfortunate, at least for us who uses webdav and need to support arbitrary clients. Lets hope nginx fixes it some day - or that Willy implements https support directly in haproxy :)

> I am not aware of any fix. A possible workaround would be to not use
> chunked encoding (or HTTP/1.0 which does not have that mechanism) :)

Indeed.. Would it be possible to signal this to a client in a generic way?

> Another possibility would be to not use nginx at all but to use stunnel.
> However, it has to be patched to support the X-Forwarded-For header.

This is what we do now, however I assume nginx might be a better choice for handling lots of connections. Also there seems to be no way to reload stunnel configuration without killing the process which would then drop current connections, but maybe I am missing something here.

Cheers!
Erik

--
Erik Gulliksson, erik.gulliksson#diino.net
System Administrator, Diino AB