Re: Federating haproxy servers

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:08:31 +0200

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:03:07PM -0400, Jeff Buchbinder wrote:
> Are there any plans to allow federating of haproxy servers, so that they
> can (for example) cut down on the number of duplicate health checks?
> Currently we run two carp'd OpenBSD firewalls running haproxy, and the
> second firewall currently duplicates all health checks for our
> applications, which is less than ideal.

I had some plans to externalize health checks so that a central process may inform several components about server status. But it's not that easy and it has some drawbacks :

If you think about it longer, you'll find a lot of issues when trying to share the servers' state. In the end, a health-check must be extremely cheap by design so it must not be a problem to have them duplicated. At least, it's generally less of a problem than all the potential problems you would face if they were not duplicated.