Re: Rising number of connections

From: Joseph Hardeman <jhardeman#colocube.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:00:07 -0400
Hi Pete,

What version of Haproxy are you running and on what OS?  Did you build from source or install the prebuilt binaries they provide?  I do not see the same issue on the haproxies we are running, but I would be interested in the snmp plugins and scripts you are using to convert to rrdtool.  If you can share them that is.  If we could see them that might assist in figuring out the issue.

Joe

Peter Miller wrote:

I monitor various statistics about HAProxy through a plugin in snmp, and oddly I’m seeing that the number of connections as reported by the front-end is increasing steadily, even though the traffic is up and down (predictably).

This increase in number of connections is also reported in HAProxys stats page. If I restart HAProxy, the connection amount restarts from 0 and slowly risese over a couple of days... although, even though the new process ends up taking over the requests, the old processes are still running (I have about 4 now – is that normal?).

See cacti graphs:

Many thanks for any help.

Pete

** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail **

The information contained in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise, is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Conde Nast does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author.

Company Registration details:
The Conde Nast Publications Ltd
Vogue House
Hanover Square