Re: Adding new back-end servers without restarting

From: benoit <max.maverick#maverick.eu.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:18:29 +0200

Alfredo Ramos wrote:
> Is it possible to modify the configuration to add a new server without
> restarting haproxy?
>
> It seems to me so far, that haproxy always requires a restart whenever
> a new server is added or removed, which will bring the whole site
> down, and if using session persistence, then all the session
> information will be lost. Which will make it useless for high
> availability sites.
>
> Is this actually the case? Can anyone illuminate me?

Like a lot of things, this is true and false :)

Yes, haproxy doesn't support live reconfiguration (yet?), however the restart/reload mechanism used allow for a live reconfiguration without downtime iirc

    See "4.3 Hot reconfiguration" in
http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.3/doc/architecture.txt Received on 2009/09/07 19:18