Re: Sticky session, dumb client

From: Cyril Bonté <cyril.bonte#free.fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:00:27 +0100

Le mardi 27 octobre 2009 02:18:35, Robinson, Michael a écrit :
> I've got HAproxy 1.3.22 configured on two EC2 servers in front of two Apache/Tomcat frontends serving a JSP-based mobile phone application.

Does 1 apache instance can talk to 1 (and only 1) tomcat or can it talk to both tomcat ? How the communication is made between them (mod_jk, mod_proxy_ajp/http/balancer) ?

> The application requires session stickiness - I've tried every documented alternative HAproxy offers for session persistence, unfortunately without luck. The mobile device (well, our application) does not support cookies and will not echo a modified jsessionid cookie on subsequent requests. Two options seem ideal, but there are roadblocks:
>

> 1. appsession jsessionid len 52 timeout 1h
>
> However, since cookies aren't an option, we hoped to leverage appsession URL lookup... which has the honor of being on the matrix of all known bugs<http://haproxy.1wt.eu/knownbugs-1.3.html> posted on 10/18 (thanks for posting this, BTW!)
>
> Any ideas if/when this may make it into a stable release?

You should try with "len 32" if there's no jvmRoute in the tomcat configuration.

 > 2. balance url_param jsessionid check_post
>
> This option could work... but it doesn't (for me, at least). Is the config line wrong? Here's an example HTTP request from our log file:
>
> ... "POST /app; jsessionid=55A964502A7D0565A1C2ADE432AD3EF0 HTTP/1.1"
>
> Can/should I just modify the source for url_param matching to look for ';' instead of '?' as a workaround?

I don't think this will work as the hashed value of jsessionid won't necessarly point to the server that provided this session.

--
Cyril Bonté