Re: haproxy listening to all interface is safe for a heartbeat cluster? (was: High Availability question)

From: Joseph Hardeman <jhardeman#colocube.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:25:52 -0500

Hi Dirk,

We use heartbeat with haproxy and don't have any issues. Our setup is pretty simple, we have a VIP that floats between the two servers by heartbeat and when I move it over via hb_takeover or hb_standby (we haven't had a failover happen besides my manually moving it or rebooting the primary to force a fail over) it takes maybe a second at the most for the traffic to start going through that server.

Since the apache servers are responding to the internal IP of the haproxy server when the secondary takes over and starts sending the requests the apache servers just start sending to that servers IP address.

I haven't seen any issues with this setup and have had great results so far. I don't see why your would force a start on apache unless you have them residing on the same server as haproxy.

Anyway wanted to respond and let you know that we have had no issues with heartbeat failover between haproxy servers.

Joe
**

--
This message has been scanned for viruses by Colocube's AV Scanner