Re: Haproxy server timeouts?

From: XANi <xani666#gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:11:54 +0100

Dnia 2009-12-04, pią o godzinie 17:57 -0500, Naveen Ayyagari pisze:

> Our servers do not serve any static content, it is entirely application content for a mobile application, so we have many many requests that need to run through a php server.
>
> The issue we have is that our scripts are dependent on external resources, so php execution time can vary wildly.
>

> Can you elaborate on this comment:
> > -do not run too much PHPs, 2xnumber of cores is ok coz if u run too much content switching will eat your CPU and RAM is better used for caching, not another 20 PHP processes ;]
> Given that we are using mod_php, does this still make sense or is this only relevant to the fastcgi? What it 2x the number of cores? Do you mean processor cores? We need to be able to concurrently handle as many PHP processes as possible.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to help out and explain your configuration.

Yes i meant processor cores, basically if you have extreme cases like 80 processes on 8 cores then imo its better to use less processes and queue reqests in proxy (too much content switching is bad thing for performance), but if in your case its just because php "waits for something" and not because server is overloaded it wont change much. You might want to consider checking if other http servers liek lighttpd also have that "bug"

--
Mariusz Gronczewski (XANi) <xani666#gmail.com>
GnuPG: 0xEA8ACE64