Re: SSL - Support in 1.4.x ?

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 23:00:31 +0200

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:52:09PM +0200, Malte Geierhos wrote:
> Hello @All,
>
> i'd like to know if there're any news regarding SSL Support
> for the Client / Server side in haproxy ?

not at all.

> I know it's a difficult issue due to the performance impact
> SSL processing brings to the whole thing - but ...

The hardest thing is not to accept the performance impact but to integrate an SSL library which does not perform malloc(1) calls for each character read and which does not try to write directly to file descriptors without passing through the buffers. But there are several people who regularly experiment on the subject. Last experiments with YaSSL were pretty much promising.

> anyways it would be great to have it directly in haproxy
> at least it maybe useful only for smaller sites.

I know that many people would like to get it because they generally use only one stunnel in front of one haproxy, to the performance could only be better if we reduce inter-process communications. That will probably not see the light in 1.5, but maybe for 1.6, I don't know.