Re: Question regarding url_param hashing

From: Hank A. Paulson <hap#spamproof.nospammail.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:46:41 -0700

On 4/12/10 8:25 AM, Dirk Taggesell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM, David Birdsong
> <david.birdsong#gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's expected that consistent hashing won't provide an even
>> distribution to your backends. You'll need to adjust the weights of
>> each server to even out the traffic if you want a smooth distribution
>> of requests to backends.
>
> Granted that the request distribution might not entirely even, but
> only back-end 1 and 7 receive requests at all. the five others won't
> get even one request. Also not if I manually add weight definitions to
> the back-ends.
>
> Appears as if I'm at a loss here.

How varied is your "site" param? are there many variations or just a few similar strings?

Willie is it possible to make a stand alone program that can take a list of strings as input and return the (consistent) hashed values so that people can check them?

chash 7 < teststrings.txt > chashedstrings.txt Received on 2010/04/12 19:46