Re: question about transparancy

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:06:23 +0200

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:36:12AM +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:
> >Don't look blindly at the tools you're using, but choose the tools you
> >need based on the goal you're trying to reach. Ah, who am I kidding, I'm
> >just an IT-nerd wanting to play with cool balancers as well..
>
> That is the whole idea ;)
> I know DNS load balancing works (I have it up & running right now) but I
> want to do load balancing with a load balancer..I want to have a setup
> which is flexible and a blueprint for let say: a 500+ mailserver setup
> with very heavy load (think Google or Hotmail).

you will probably never be able to achieve that type of load through a single load balancer (even less on a VPS). So you *will* need to use DNS RR anyway.

For SMTP, a load balancer will only bring a bit more control and reactivity. But if you're trying to install that on a VPS where precisely it's harder to route/spoof IP addresses, I really doubt you'll gain anything.

Willy Received on 2010/04/23 21:06