Re: Sharing machine or separate machine?

From: Guillaume Bourque <guillaume.bourque#gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 14:03:44 -0400

Hi !

2010/7/6 Christian Jensen <christian#officepools.com>

> Thanks for the feedback. I do understand that it is pretty vague.
>
> If you have the machine directly on the net and all ports off, is the only
> reason to use a cisco to get the VPN or are there other benefits? I come
> from the M$ world where we used ISA server and I understand the positives
> there but also the downsides too.
>
> With ISA server I got:
> * URL Routing
> * NAT
> * VPN
> * Logging
> * Load Balancing
> * SSL offloading
> and more. I know this forum is not designed specifically for talking about
> Cisco products but does anyone know what the best box for the best price to
> emulate the above features? Is it simply a matter of mixing in other Open
> Source projects and boxes?

Well an open source Box will always beat the M$ equivalent price, will be more robust and more secure and you won't have to upgrade the hole server if you decide to upgrade 1 product !

Here is what some are using

This can be all on 1 server directly connected to the internet if well configure or behind a cisco or juniper firewall. some people on the list will load balance http traffic over 100Mb/sec on 1 normal server hardware ...

It all depends on the size of the object that you will be serving and your configuration....

Good luck !

> I hate adding boxes because your MTBF cuts in half for every component you
> add.
>
> Thanks!
> Christian
>
> On 7/6/2010 3:16 AM, Angelo Höngens wrote:
>
>> On 6-7-2010 10:32, Christian Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am setting up a new datacenter and would love to get an opinion...
>>>
>>> We have 3 options:
>>> 1. Build a firewall machine separate from the load balancer machine
>>> 2. Share a machine and have a firewall and haproxy on the same box

--
Guillaume Bourque, B.Sc.,
consultant, infrastructures technologiques libres