Re: Truncated health check response from real servers

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:06:04 +0200

Hi Anze,

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 01:48:12AM +0200, Anze wrote:

> > Indeed it never made it in. Each time I look at it, I realize that
> > cleaning it up and fixing it will take more time than what I have
> > available to work on it :-/
>
> I can understand that completely. :)
>
> Actually, I am not that much interested in the patch per-se, I would just like
> to check the body of the check-response and compare it to a string for more
> reliable checks.

It's what the patch does.

> I have included my original mail (and reasoning) on the
> subject below. It's not on top of my priority list right now either, still...
> sooner or later we might get bitten by it.
>
> I'd love to help out coding, but sockets and C++ are not my strong points
> (though I am comfortable in C).

So you're welcome, haproxy is plain C, and I don't understand C++ either ;-)

> I can help with testing though if needed. Let
> me know if it helps and if/when you find time for this. :)
>
> Or, if you wish, I can take Nick's patch and extract just the parts with
> checking the response body? Can you point out some of the errors so I can
> avoid them?

I've rediffed the patch against 1.4.8, you can find it here :

    http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/patches/http-ecv-checks-1.4.8.diff

Most of the things I'm particularly concerned are in httpchk_expect() :

As you see, there's not even any socket work on this, so if you feel comfortable with this, feel free to contribute, I think this is the patch that received the most different contributors' work.

Once it's OK, I'm willing to merge it into next 1.4 stable because I know that several people would like to use it, and it doesn't affect other parts of code, so there's no risk of regression if it breaks.

Thanks,
Willy Received on 2010/07/10 10:06