Re: HAproxy performance on virtual sys. KVM

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:13:50 +0200

Hi Konrad,

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 07:49:25PM +0200, Konrad wrote:
> The networking is slow - you're correct. I'll check it why.
>
> But generally I don't know why the stats using "ab" tool can be so low.
> If I add additional server with apache there is hardly any performance
> increase. This makes me worry.
> I got 3 apache servers on every - remotely tested - about 3-4k req/s.
> And with HAproxy about 2k req/s.

but as I understand it, in the first case (apache only), your test is :

  ab --[network]--> apache

In the second case, your test is :

  ab --[network]--> haproxy --[network]--> apache

So if you pass twice over the network and it's the bottleneck, it's perfectly expected that the performance cuts in half.

> I made also a configuration with virtualbox just for test (1 HA, 3 vm's
> with apache). Situation is similar.
> To every vm there is about 600 req/s. And using HAproxy about 400 req/s.

Huh, the numbers are even 5 times lower ! Was that on the same physical machine ? If so, that should ring some bell about the host's tuning. I think the last time I've seen that low numbers, it was on a Pentium 90. And even in a VM I don't recall that low numbers.

> Right now I'm not sure but I'll also check the load on cpu on vm's.

The CPU on the host is more important. The one in the VM can report anything between 0 and 100% depending on what the host lets it really do.

> Generally I tried different configurations of haproxy.conf. But as you
> can confirm the effect is not good.
> Could you please suggest me what - more or less - effect should I expect
> (in the upper connection schema - 3-4k req/s to 2k req/s)?

From memories, haproxy under lguest on my Atom 1.6 GHz does slightly more than 4000 req/s. So any decent machine with hardware virtualization should do quite more.

There are some important tests you should do :

I really suspect that the issue is making the packets pass between VMs multiple times, which adds up network traffic that the host cannot handle between VMs for whatever reasons.

Hoping this helps,
Willy Received on 2010/07/12 20:13