Re: acl src limit

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:10:01 +0200

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 03:01:02PM +0000, Tom Whitcomb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using version 1.3.15.6 and am using the "acl X src/block if X" to block IPs to my site. What is the limit of the number of IPs I can block?

The only limit is the size of your RAM to load ACLs and the performance impact. You should be able to check a few thousands addresses at a few thousands requests per second, but it's important to be very careful. If you need to load more IP addresses, I suggest upgrading to 1.4.8 which is able to load massive amounts of addresses (and networks) and to store them in binary trees for very fast lookups (a few million lookups per second on a tree containing 1 million entries). This also helps keeping the configuration manageable.