RE: haproxy ignores client closing connection

From: John Marrett <JMarrett#mediagrif.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 17:54:16 -0400
RE: haproxy ignores client closing connection

I have experienced somewhat similar behaviour with an older version of 1.3; I wanted to confirm the behaviour on the current version of 1.3 and accurately reproduce it before reporting. I also wanted to include clean network captures that aren't 2GB large :)

We had the issue with clients uploading a file twice.

Our load balancing stack is:

Apache (functioning as a reverse proxy) -> HAProxy -> Backend Server(s)

The observed behaviour for us was as follows:

Client opens an upload, clicks the upload button twice.

The first request is terminated by the client with a RST packet. Apache receives the RST packet, sends a FIN packet to HAProxy. HAProxy received the FIN packet, it ACKs back to Apache but it does not send a FIN packet to the backend server. Eventually the backend server times out and returns a response which doesn't make it too far.

This is from memory as I'm out of the office right now, but I will follow the discussion with interest and may be able to provide captures in a week or two when I return from vacation.

-JohnF