Header Length Limits in mode http

From: Timothy Garnett <tgarnett#panjiva.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:07:39 -0400

Hi all,

We use a nginx -> haproxy (1.3.20 currently) -> mongrels setup to serve our website and recently we noticed an issue where haproxy is returning a 400 error for requests with very long headers (for us typically long url, long referrer, or the combination of both). I checked the change logs and didn't see anything that might address this in newer versions. While I haven't narrowed down the exact limit yet it's around 6500 bytes. This occurs only when the config file has mode http, in mode tcp the request goes through fine. So perhaps related to some buffer limit in the http parsing? If so is the limit documented some where and is there a setting to increase it? While long urls are generally not a good idea, we don't always have full control over the referrer and for a couple of reasons we'd like to support very long urls in a few parts of our site.

TIm Received on 2010/09/10 19:07