Re: VM benchmarks

From: Ariel <ariel#bidcactus.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:58:19 -0400

It's really strange. I notice a huge improvement in non-virtualized environments as well.

I modeled my network on all old laptops (like sub-500mhz era) using haproxy pointed to two backend nginx servers and I get 10-30ms response for static content (client and servers all on the same 100mbit LAN). I then modeled the same setup in VirtualBox (all on the same computer) from client (host OS) to servers (three guest OS's) and I have an average time to fully downloaded content of over 150ms. And yes the CPU supports VT-x and the virtualization is configured to use it.

Watching CPU / RAM / IO on all involved nodes (in both networks) shows that there is virtually no load (htop itself is using more resources).

Is there a system call that haproxy uses that simply does not translate efficiently to a virtualized environment?

-a