Re: [MINOR] add warnings on features not compatible with multi-process mode

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:41:53 +0100

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:24:02PM +0100, Cyril Bonté wrote:
> Le mercredi 15 décembre 2010 10:09:19, Willy Tarreau a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:01:32AM +0100, Cyril Bonté wrote:
> > (...)
> > > The idea is to check each proxy in the scope of the stats and compare
> > > their bind-process mask with the current stats proxy.
> >
> > I would do something simpler : only report a warning if one proxy is
> > running with stats admin and with a bind-process mask which has 2 bits set
> > (is not a power of 2). This is the correct condition to decide of an
> > anomaly because an action will be sent to a random process.
>
> Then it's already done like that in the patch I provided (or I missed
> something).
>
> > If the
> > administrator correctly binds his proxies to a specific process, he likely
> > knows what he's doing and we should not report an annoying warning here.
>
> OK, but I found it unsifficient. Weird configurations without any warning can
> also be annoying and cause headaches :-)
> The patch is already done, I'll make some tests tomorrow and send it to you to
> decide if it has sense ;-)

OK if you want. What I absolutely want to avoid is to emit warnings on possibly valid configs. However, for a long time I wanted to add a second level of warnings which emits messages about suspicious settings that are not necessarily invalid (eg: two servers with the same cookie value). And at least for that it can make sense to have controls such as the one you're suggesting.

Thanks,
Willy Received on 2010/12/15 23:41