Re: Half--NAT

From: Jason J. W. Williams <jasonjwwilliams#gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:28:29 -0600

Hi David,

I'd argue HAProxy is more of a L4-7 load balancer than just a proxy, and that's what we're trying to use it as on L4.

The functionality I need to replace is Half-NAT in a hardware load balancer: Select a backend server according to the SLB algorithm and rewrite the destination address (keeping the source IP as the client IP) on the packet to the RIP of the server before sending it along. Enables the load balancer to do balancing and the server to still see the client's IP address. At L4 there's not really another way get the client IP visible to the server (we're SLBing SMTP).

-J