Re: Fwd: Increasing Log Message Length

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:10:00 +0200

Hi Kyle,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 09:34:06AM -0400, Kyle Brandt wrote:
> Can I increase the length of syslog messages sent out by HAProxy?
>
> Would it be as simple as changing:
> #define MAX_SYSLOG_LEN 1024
> In
> include/types/log.h
>
> Or is there more to it than that?

You can try, but it may do anything depending on your syslog server. Some accept those messages, some do truncate the lines, YMMV.

> I am sending the logs to rsyslogd which does support increasing the log size
> in its configuration. Could it be increased as high as ~64k if possible to
> match the largest UDP message size?

You can try. I'd argue that if we find a reliable way to increase log size in at least one config, we could then make the max size a config option in haproxy. Till now this has not really been the case.

> (Forgive if this is a double post, got a delivery failed permanently from my
> mail account)

We had a failure with the server (hard disk failed to respond), we had to power cycle it, so that can explain what you observed.

Cheers,
Willy Received on 2011/04/18 07:10