Re: Bench of haproxy

From: Hank A. Paulson <hap#spamproof.nospammail.net>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 02:54:20 -0700

Not necessarily a solution to this performance issue, but I was thinking about how to get to that next level of performance for haproxy.

Here is an idea I had that is a bit far out. Supermicro and others now have GPU servers - TESLA from NIVDIA, etc. A project from Korea has used these "GPGPU"s to create a high speed Linux based router - they have achieved around 40 Gbps. They have a related package for packet I/O:

Packet I/O Engine is a high-performance device driver for Intel 82598/82599-based network interface cards. This program is based on Intel IXGBE driver (version 2.0.38.2), but heavily modified for throughput-oriented user-level applications.

They take a different approach to memory for packet processing, rather than handing out memory like a Grandma slowing digging out her coin purse and handing out a few pennies each time the kids ask, they pre-allocate healthy amounts of memory. Details here:

http://shader.kaist.edu/packetshader/
http://shader.kaist.edu/packetshader/io_engine/index.html

Could this be a future for high speed dedicated haproxy machines - some interfaces are "taken over" by haproxy and dedicated to it using something similar to the above. Other interfaces are left to the normal kernel for management, logging, etc. Maybe not but there might be some usable ideas there.

12 Core CPU, 2 x16 PCIe, one for GPU, one for Intel 10GB X520-T2 Card: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/1122/AS-1122GG-TF.cfm