Re: configuring "direct" connections

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 08:02:09 +0200

Hi Veit,

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Veit Guna wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to use haproxy as a http proxy for certain urls. My plan is
> to specify always the haproxy in the client and to decide in haproxy
> if an "upstream" proxy should be used or if the connection should be
> made "direct" without an additional proxy configured within haproxy.
>
> I took a look at the documentation, but I couldn't find an option to say
> that the connection should simply made directly by haproxy as
> "passthrough" and not via backend/server delegation. Is that even
> possible with haproxy? To make direct connections to the origin address
> which came in via http request?
>
> If I leave the backend definition empty (without specifying a "server"),
> haproxy returns a 503, complaining about <NOSRV> in the log.
> So how can I tell haproxy to create the connection to original url by
> itself instead of delegating it to an upstream proxy?

haproxy is not an HTTP proxy but a reverse proxy (or a "gateway" using the HTTP terminology). It will not resolve the host name on a request to connect to the server by itself. However, there is a rarely used feature which makes it able to do this only in the situation where pure IP addresses are passed in the URL (check for "option http_proxy" in the doc). But I'm sure it will not be suitable for your needs.

If you have set it as a transparent proxy, you still have the original destination address and can forward to the address that was resolved by the client (switch to a backend section running in transparent mode). But I don't know if that's your case either.