Re: Website crawling while connecting via haproxy balanced url

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:12:08 +0200

Hi Amol,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:01:31AM -0700, Amol wrote:
> Hi,
> One of my tester complained this morning that he can access the servers fine when he hits them individually and with decent response time, but when he access via the haproxy load balanced url, the website is crawling for him.
> The other interesting thing is people at other locations have no issues at all.
>
> So can you please tell me how can i debug this very specific issue with this connection,
>
> what we have tried so far is
>
> restart is mac
> restart his home router
> reset safari
> reset firefox
>
> But the issue still persists?

Well, at least the haproxy configuration would help, and ideally you should take tcpdump traces on the haproxy machine for this IP address. That way you'd be able to :

  1. say whether or not what he sees is normal
  2. determine if the issue is client-side or haproxy-side
  3. find a workaround or a fix
  4. sometimes discover a bug somewhere :-)