Re: fast/smooth updates a pattern file?

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 08:34:16 +0200

Hi David,

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 01:34:17PM -0700, David Birdsong wrote:
> Hi, I think I know this answer, but would like to be sure.
>
> Is there any way to force a reload of a pattern file without a new
> haproxy process needing to be spawned? Since stick tables can't be
> used for storing XFF IP addresses, I've concocted my own scraper
> detection external to haproxy and I'm delivering the IP addresses to a
> haproxy via a pattern file.
>
> Right now I'm reloading haproxy ~2 mins which loses backend health
> state and stats. I'd like to reload as often as new IP's are
> discovered by my 'Rube Goldberg' scraper detection, but that would be
> as fast as 30 seconds which is too often given that backend health
> detection takes a significant fraction of that time.

Well, you said you thought you knew the answer, so I can confirm you know it. However what I'd like to be able to do soon is to feed patterns from the CLI, which would be much better than doing so from a reload since it would work inside a chroot and would allow one to perform partial replacements.

It's not necessarily difficult to implement, it just requires some time and some care. If someone is interested in doing it soon, I can give a few hints on that.