Re: 500s with 1.4.18 and 1.5d7

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 07:29:54 +0200

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 11:17:14PM +0200, Baptiste wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Hank A. Paulson
> <hap#spamproof.nospammail.net> wrote:

> >> Are you sure, that these are not upstream server 500 errors?
> >>
> >> Best regards, Brane
> >
> > Good point, I don't know how to differentiate from the haproxy logs which
> > 500s originate from haproxy and which are passed through from the backend
> > servers. I wish there was an easy way to tell since haproxy 500s are much
> > more worrisome. Maybe ai am missing something...
> >

> on your log line, you may have a letter on the second character of the
> termination state flags.
> If there is a letter, then it means there has been an issue between
> HAProxy and your server.

There are very few situations where haproxy may emit a 500 right now :

There are also other hints. For instance, if you see that the session timers are still at -1 for the connect time or the response time, it is guaranteed that it cannot be the server which reported the response since it has not responded.

I have planned to add two status codes in the future, one to log what the server reported, and one to log what haproxy sent to the client. It will make troubleshooting much easier.