Re: Add server-id to response header

From: Graeme Donaldson <graeme#donaldson.za.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:51:16 +0200

On 10 November 2011 17:40, Jan-Oliver John <ojohn#vz.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> is it possible to set a response header that includes the server id the
> request has been sent to?
>
> Maybe with "rspadd <something>"?

I'm not sure if rspadd is up to the job. I had a quick look and it looks like the answer is 'no'.

I've got this working with Apache httpd backends though, if you're using some other server as a backend feel free to ignore everything that follows. :-)

Instructions are for apache2 on Ubuntu, so adjust as necessary.

Enable mod_headers:

    $ sudo a2enmod headers

Add the following line to /etc/apache2/envvars:

    export HOSTNAME=`hostname`

Add this somewhere in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf:

    #Add server name header so we can identify backend server when traffic passes through HAproxy

    PassEnv HOSTNAME
    Header set X-Backend-Server "%{HOSTNAME}e %D %t"

You can skip the %t and %D if you want, they just add the timestamp Apache received the request and the duration of Apaches handling of the request.

Restart Apache:

    $ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Aaaaand that's it. :-)

HTH,