Re: HAPROXY Stats page

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:51:02 +0200

Hi John,

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:11:11AM -0400, Lauro, John wrote:
> Using 1.2.17 if version is relevant..

Yes it's relevant. It has slightly changed in 1.3.

> Is there a FAQ anywhere?

Not really. The doc and examples are the major information sources.

> I searched the web site, but have not been able to find an explanation
> for all the counters on the stats page. If documented somewhere, can
> someone point it out.

I think I have written this down somewhere but I don't remember where.

> For the most part, I think I understand most of
> the non error stats, and half the error stats. Perhaps it's just the
> abbreviations that are confusing me.
>
> Act. - Active (is the server active)
>
> Bck. - Backup (is the server reserved for backup)
>
> Curr. - Current number of entries in queue or active sessions
>
> Max. - Maximum number of entries in queue or sessions seen so far
>
> Limit - Maximum that Curr./Max. can grow to until incoming sessions
> are held in queue
>
> Cumul. - Cumulative - How many sessions so far

Valid till there.

> Errors:
>
> Conn. - Connection errors - Was able to find some of this documented.
> :-)
>
> Problem: Unable to connect to server because server is at
> Limit sessions (or minconn if only one server, no other servers have
> different cookies), and entries in Queue timed out giving error to
> client
>
> Possible Resolutions:
>
> Decrease load to this server (add more servers to balance)
>
> Increase limit (maxconn)
>
> Increase contimeout so that sessions can sit in queue longer prior to
> failing

Yes, valid too !

> Resp. - ?????????? (I see a few non 0 entries, and have no idea????)

Response errors : the server cuts the connection before the end of the response, or times out after the connection. One of the 502/504 responses returned by haproxy.

> Sec. - ??????????

Security errors. When a response has been blocked by a rule in your configuration, or when you have enabled some features such as cookie cacheability checking and the server incidentely returned a cacheable cookie which was blocked by haproxy.

> Check - Number of times server failed a host check.

yes.

> Down - Number of times server went down due to too many check failures

yes.

> PS: It would be nice if the check option warned about bad
> configurations for new users like me:
>
> Setting the same cookie for more than one server. I was expecting it
> to load balance between the two, but instead no matter the weight,
> etc... almost everything goes to the first. (Should be stated a
> little clearer that each server should have a different cookie to be
> balanced, or no cookie at all).

No, sometimes it is very useful for backup purposes. You can dual-attach your servers very easily that way, and you can also manage to perform soft-stops without breaking any connection using this feature. Check the architecture manual for more information.

> Setting a minconn with only one server (or two servers with the same
> cookie) essentially makes it act like maxconn.

Not necessarily, because you can have a dynamic maxconn with this method, which ensures that your servers normally receive very few connections, and that this limit will be raised when the load increases.