Re: Quick question on logging from HaProxy.

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:30:54 +0200

Hi John,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 08:52:38AM -0400, Lauro, John wrote:
> First make sure you have syslog listening on udp. By default for
> newer installs, syslog only uses sockets which haproxy doesn't
> support.

To be fair, it's not a matter of not supporting, because using syslog() is quite trivial. It's a problem with /dev/log being unreachable for chrooted processes. Even if you can attach to it upon startup, you cannot reconnect once syslogd reloads. And even klogd which is not chrooted silently dies if syslogd breaks the socket! What an awful design!

However nowadays, almost everybody has switched to syslog-ng at least for performance reasons when it's not for flexibility. Since syslog-ng has no problem listening to multiple sources, I think that I will add the unix socket feature in haproxy so that people can simply put one dedicated syslog-ng socket in haproxy's chroot and be fine with it.