Re: PATCH: Was: Re: Timed cookies

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:36:54 +0200

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:29:11PM +0200, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:
> It seems that my mailer (pine) changes endlines to crlf of all attached
> text files. I checked and it had done the same thing with my previous
> mails. Hopefully it converts it back to the unix endline format when I
> save them and that is why I never noticed it before.

Good to know!
Can't you just change the mime-type ? What I find strange is that the file is mmencoded (base64), and it is the *embedded* data which is corrupted. Perhaps Pine's author got the RFC wrong and exagerated the conversion ? I agree that each base64 line should be CRLF'd, but the internal must not be affected.

Another thing I find strange is that it was git which complained first (git-am -k -3 <mail>), and Pine is a very much used MUA on LKML, where GIT is used a lot too.

Don't gzip the patches, it will make it harder for both of us to work with them. Better merge them inlined in your mail (after checking that Pine does not corrupt them, but Linus works that way and has no problem). Also, having the patches inlined makes it even easier to review/comment them. It's just harder to attach several ones, but it's also a good thing to limit oneself to one patch per mail, that also makes reviews and merges easier.