[ANNOUNCE] haproxy 1.3.15

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:53:16 +0200

Hi everyone !

More than 4 months have elapsed since 1.3.14. This is far too long. While reviewing changes, I realized that we did a lot of work in this time, the diff is 11400 lines long.

Now that the code has stabilized, I'm really pleased to release 1.3.15. It will also help contributors to resync.

A lot of new features have been merged since 1.3.14. I will not enumerate all of them right here, but among the most noticeable ones that come to mind are :

There are surely other things I'm missing. Sorry if I did not cite your particular contribution, please complain loudly.

The mailing list is speeding up contributions and ideas. We are now slightly more than 100 sharing ideas, code and experience together and providing support to newcomers. This is really nice.

For the next step, I have already started working on header processing. I thought I could do something simple and efficient, applying what the RFC suggests, ie merging headers with the same name (apache does this BTW). It would have made code and configuration easier... Except that there are buggy browsers which have trouble with multiple values in a "set-cookie" header (reason why they're never merged). Grrr... I'll have to do that differently. BTW, I found RFC4229 which enumerates a lot of well-known HTTP headers.

I have also started working on supporting a bitmask to apply to the source address before performing a hash in "balance source" mode. This would make it possible to assign the same server to a client whose address changes between a same network (classical problem with proxy farms). For this I need to extend the hashing algorithms, and I found very nice work in this area on Bob Jenkins' site (I've merged the experimentation code already). This feature is easy to implement and will be merged soon. A second punch in the hash algorithm will be the double hash in order to rebalance only the users of a dead server. I still don't know whether it's desirable to apply it unconditionally or not.

Most of the rest will depend on the header rework being finished. I have a draft-looking TODO list that I will polish a bit and publish so that people can participate (ideas or code).

I've built the 1.3.15 for Linux and Solaris. Source and executables available at the usual places :

   http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.3/src/    http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.3/bin/

While there are many new features, the code appears to be stable. This version survived the 10 Gbps and 40000 hits/s tests :-)

However, still treat it with more care than you would for a trivial stable update.

Cheers,
Willy Received on 2008/04/19 23:53