Re: haproxy and compression... Anybody?

From: Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world#gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:09:53 +0800

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Unai Rodriguez <me#u-journal.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> > just wondering if anybody has implemented this (we obviously need a patch
> > right now). Or do you have (gasp) some kind of a "gzip http proxy" in
> > front
> > of it? If one were to implement this functionality as a patch to haproxy,
> > how difficult would it be?
>
> Do you mean having HAProxy serve already gzipped content provided by the
> backend servers?

not if HAProxy unzips, and sends back uncompressed content to the client. I need HAProxy to be able to talk compression to the clients.

> I have used HAProxy to load balance gzipped HTTP content without problems
> on two sites that I managed, one using IIS web servers and the other using
> Apache.
>
> unai

ok, so meaning HAProxy is able to peer inside the content to do its layer 7 stuff, and it is also able to talk gzip to the clients? If so, that would be what I'm looking for. But currently, I dont see any zlib includes in the source code. Unless haproxy implements its own compression in-house? (in which case, I'm still looking through the code - but dont see anything).

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not