Re: haproxy and compression... Anybody?

From: Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world#gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:20:04 +0800

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Unai Rodriguez <me#u-journal.org> wrote:

> > no kidding? could you perhaps anonymize the example config? will that do?
> > change the hostnames, change the ip addresses if necessary...
>
> OK, here is the example. My setup is:
>
> - one HAProxy (version 1.2.14 2006/05/21)
> - two Windows 2000 Web Server running IIS 5.0. They have the http
> compression turned on as explained here:
>
> <snip>
>
> Notes.-
>
> 1) You can see how the second scenario (the one that goes through HAProxy)
> includes an extra cookie which has been provided by HAProxy: "DPSOP-UAT=s1"
>
> 2) Both requests have the header "Content-Encoding: gzip" which indicates
> compressed http traffic
>
> 3) The Content-Length is the same on both: 574
>
> Let me know if you want more details. I will provide, it is not a privacy
> issue or anything, I am more than happy to discover new things out. When I
> said "I cannot provide right now" is because I was busy... but my brain
> couldn't stop thinking about this...
>
> unai

thanks, Unai for the follow-up!!! You know what, I just did a dump myself, and unbelievably, this is happening here as well. What gives? Initially, I was thinking that perhaps you had haproxy in tcp mode, but no, even in mode http, this thing happens as well. I'm happy, obviously - although like you, I dont exactly get how this could be happening.. Any idea, Willy?

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not